2018 - A Retrospective
Before we dive into the list of projects of 2018, we would like to thank everyone who worked with us or recommended us to new clients. Your recommendation is our biggest reward!
One of the big projects we worked on this year is our open-source rendering framework The Forge, that became quite popular and is now used in several custom and middleware engines:
At Confetti we always had an internal rendering framework that we used to work on all our projects over the years and when we began to work on a successor, we decided to open-source this new framework from the start. The Forge is a huge success story. We had 22 releases in 2017 and many people from outside the company now contribute to The Forge.
The first public appearance of The Forge was on two XFest talks at the beginning of the year, where we described an improved Triangle Visibility Buffer system for XBOX One and XBOX One X. Speaking of Triangle Visibility Buffer: we improved the demo even more with native HDR content towards the end of the year. You can find it in the GitHub repository.
One of the more uncommon projects was a robotics project, utilizing the Gazebo engine for Amazon.
We developed several optimal and fully configured reference scenes that can be used with this engine for robot simulation. Those scenes were a race track, book store, a sparse object density room and a mars surface scene.
We also consulted on the Volition Engine for Deep Silver this year.
This engine is “sporting” our Dynamic Global Illumination system Aura.
We are working with Google to improve the game engine support infrastructure of the Google Project Stream service
Since 2018 we also work on Stormland for Insomniac:
In 2018, we also started to work with NVIDIA on the NSight graphics debugger.
Since more than nine years we work with Qualcomm and this year was no exception.
Since 2014 we help Supergiant to port their games to new platforms. After having ported Transistor to iOS in the past, this year we ported Transistor to Switch:
We love Supergiant games!
We wrote the initial Dolby Vision SDK and this year we worked again on a newer version of the SDK with an improved algorithm, showing of a HDR test scene.
Rendering in a web browser becomes more and more feasible with the improving support of WebGL in browsers. We continued this year upgrading the rendering system of Amazon Sumerian.
For a large part of the year, we finished our work on the Starbreeze / StarVR SDK. It was released during SIGGRAPH in September:
Under the topic of non-disclosed project we spent some time with software patents related to Ray Tracing. We also worked with Dolby and others on some secret projects. Many of our unannounced projects can’t make it into a retrospective like this. You guys know who you are! Thanks for working with us.